Welcome to this blog post where we will address the common issue of the ‘Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance’ error in WordPress. This tutorial is a follow-up to the second week of the Learn WordPress to Earn under #WPSpartans300 Refueled Mission. We received a question from Shahzaib Raza regarding the .maintenance file and how to resolve the error. In this concise post, we will provide step-by-step instructions on fixing this issue.
Section 1: Understanding the .maintenance File
During the updating process of WordPress CMS, themes, or plugins, you may encounter the ‘Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance’ error. This occurs because WordPress creates a .maintenance file in the root directory. To resolve the error, follow the steps below.
Section 2: Deleting the .maintenance File
- Access your cPanel directly or via FTP.
- Locate the .maintenance file in the root directory.
- Delete the .maintenance file.
- Refresh your WordPress website.
Deleting the .maintenance file usually resolves the error and restores your site’s availability.
Section 3: Renaming Plugins or Themes
If the previous technique doesn’t work, you can try renaming the plugins or themes to resolve the error.
- Right-click on the main folder of the plugin or theme causing the issue.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Append a suffix such as “-old” to the folder name (e.g., plugin-old).
- Save the changes.
Section 4: Reactivating Themes or Plugins
- Go back to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- The plugin or theme causing the error will be deactivated.
- Reactivate the required theme or plugin.
- Check if your site is back online.
- If the error persists, return to the cPanel.
- Rename the folder back to its original name.
- Return to the WordPress admin panel and reactivate the theme or plugin.
Following these steps will help you resolve the ‘Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance’ error and ensure the smooth operation of your WordPress website.
As a freelancer, you may come across similar projects on platforms like Upwork or Fiverr. Remember this valuable tip to quickly resolve the ‘Briefly Unavailable for Scheduled Maintenance’ error for your clients. By promptly addressing this issue, you can ensure client satisfaction and maintain a positive reputation in your freelancing career.
Stay tuned for more tutorials and tips as part of the Learn WordPress to Earn under #WPSpartans300 Refueled Mission. Happy WordPress troubleshooting!